Monday, July 15, 2013

'Twas the Night Before Houston

'Twas the night before Houston,
and all I could do was think about things still left to do. 
The bags were packed and by the back door
In hopes of a speedy departure early in the morn. 

I should have been nestled all snug in my bed,
With visions of the fun filled week ahead.

When suddenly I realized my list needed checking once more. 
Away to the office I flew like a flash, 
Tore open my MacBook and scrolled through the list at last. 

The items on the note page began to appear,
And all I could think was, The deadline was near. 

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But items not crossed off and we were only eight hours from depart. 

With a determined spirit, so eager and quick,
I knew in a moment it must all be done quick. 
More rapid than the jet I would fly,
I began re-sighting my speech once more. 

"Now Americans, now Americans,
I'm calling you all!
Come on, men! Come on, women! Come on, children, too!
To Houston to hear my Blissful spill!
Now hurry! Now hurry! And don't delay!!"

As my mind wondered back to the task at hand,
I began crossing items off that long list that still loomed. 

So back to the luggage I flew,
With an arm full of shoes and state pins, too. 
And then, in a twinkling, I remembered the jewels,
That Rone Regency so graciously loaned. 

As I dropped more clothing in my bag,
Down the hall came my husband with a bound. 
He was dressed all in his Sunday best, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all pressed with the greatest of care,
A bundle of dresses he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a crazed shopper, just leaving the mall.

His eyes how they sparkled! His sweet smile was so merry! 
He was such an good helper, like my very own packing fairy!
His cheerful spirit was amazing, like the best thing ever,
And his words of encouragement seemed to go on forever!

The list-now printed-I held tight in my hands,
And the words on the page were driving me mad. 
I had to claim down, all would be well. 
That much I knew, due to all my friends who were so swell. 

After all I was Ms Wheelchair Tennessee,
And I knew the plan was to make my state proud!

A wink of my eye and a smile in the mirror,
Soon made me realize I had nothing to fear. 

I spoke not a word, but went straight to my room,
And filled all my luggage, with last minute loot. 
And laid out my skirt and shirt,
And knew tomorrow would be here too soon. 

I sprang to the bed and gave a great sigh,
And laid my head down on the pillows so high.
But I knew my eyes would not close until I had this last thought,
"Prayers to all and to all a safe flight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment