Thursday, July 18, 2013

MWA-Thursday

Day Four
July 19, 2013

It's Thursday already!!  How can that be.?  It's seems like we just got here. I was up bright and early again this morning. Can you guess what time?!  That's right, 6:30. I had a special visitor stop by and help me get ready this morning. My mommy. :-)

Yesterday was so jam pack, I forgot to tell you about my gift. It was a cute fiesta box with chips and salsa, mini maracas, and a festive necklace. 

Today's gift was a bag with a bluebonnet flower, a poem about the flower, and a yummy cupcake. I could totally get used to this whole gift at breakfast routine.   ;-)


Today was a 'laid back' day for me because I didn't have a judges interview session. We had morning work shops that covered leadership, SSI benefits and laws, disability education history, and how the ADA came to be. For those of you that don't know, the ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act. This was a civil rights act that was signed by George Bush on July 26,1990. The ADA helps put individuals with disabilities on the 'same playing field' as able-bodied (AB's) individuals. 

Lex Frieden was our final speaker before lunch. Mr. Frieden was instrumental in making the ADA a reality.  I'm still amazed at all the incredible people that God has placed in my path.  Mr. Frieden's story is one of great strength and determination. He encouraged us all to be better advocates for the greater good of those that will come after us.  What an honor and a blessing to hear his story. 

After lunch it we enjoyed a panel discussion with several key people in the disability community. We were all told to shine bight and stand up for what you believe in. The United States has come a long way but there are still MANY improvements to be made for individuals with disabilities. 

Ms Wheelchair America 2013 Mariah Kilbourne shared her platform and pieces of her year of reign with us. I have no doubt she positively impacted the lives of thousands and thousands of people. What an honor it was to learn from Mariah. 

Adaptive Zumba was next on the list. And let me tell you it was fun!!  My physical therapist Rebecca will be glad to know I got some exercise in this week and that I wasn't a complete slacker. Sadly, I realized that any coordination that I used to have is now officially gone.  Oh well, at least we all had a good time. 

There were just a few minutes left for a wardrobe change and then it was back downstairs for the pajama party. Pizza, ice cream, games and giggles were had by all. 

I must admit that I am completely exhausted. I have to be up bright and early in the morning. My final judges interview will be around 9:00. And tomorrow night is the first night of the pageant, which means platform speeches!!  Where has the week gone??  I haven't had a chance to connect with all the girls yet.  Looks like tomorrow will be a busy day of interviews, connecting with all the girls, and platforms!!  

If you are interested in watching the pageant, please check out the info below. I would love to see pictures if you have a viewing party. :-)

Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers. 

Below is a link that you can watch the Ms Wheelchair America from your computer.  Just click on the link at the times that each evening will start and it will be streaming on this website. There are no other instructions- this page will be dedicated to MWA and no login is required.
Friday, July 19th, 7:30pm
Saturday, July 20th, 7:00pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment