Saturday, July 20, 2013

MWA-Friday

Day 5 
July 20, 2013

I was up earlier than normal this morning. At 5:30, the alarm was the last thing I wanted to hear!!  I had a lot to accomplish today!!  I still needed to meet all the other girls. 

Our breakfast gift was an adorable boot glass, a bottle of Dr. Pepper, and a note explaining the history of how it came to be. Texas has been such an incredible host state and why won't they? Everything is bigger and better in Texas!! Many thanks to all the Texas peeps who have worked so hard to make this such a memorable experience. This southern girl really appreciates it. 

I had what I feel was my best (and also my last) round of judges interviews right after breakfast. I know that regardless of the outcome tomorrow night, I was myself and always will be. 

We had four more sessions covering Advocacy and Communication, Public Relations, Disability Policy, and Legislative Advocacy. All of the sessions will help me be a better titleholder for Tennessee when I return home. 

During lunch, I was pulled out to give an interview for a television show filmed here in Houston called Mirror, Mirror. I will post the details of when the show will air when I have them. It is televised but will also be found online. 

After lunch, we attended a mini disability expo. It was nice to have one on one time to talk with the vendors and try out some of the equipment they brought. I was able to thank Todd Novack the Houston Permobil rep again for providing me with a power chair to use during my week. He is an absolute sweetheart!! I meet Annie Kennedy who is with the MDA. We have a mutual friend. I think the world just gets smaller every day!! 

I had to cut the expo short so I could make it to my hair appointment at 2:15. Volunteer hairdressers where brought in to fix our hair for both nights of the pageant. News channel 2 interviewed me while I was getting my hair done. And it turned out quite fabulous. 

Annabelle was due to arrive soon with Mamaw (my grandmother) and Kathy (my mother-in-law) at any time so we headed to the room to wait on them. I couldn't wait to see her!!  It has been a long busy week without her but she has always been in the front of my mind. There was a knock at the door and I thought for sure it was my baby. It wasn't my baby but it was a delivery man with an absolutely beautiful bouquet of flowers for me!!! 

After the hype and excited of the flowers died down, there was another knock on the door. This time I was for sure it was Annabelle...and it was.....with a surprise visitor!!!!  My sister!!  I was so excited she was able to make it!!  She is the reason I am here today!!  


Now once all that excitement was over, it was time to get pageant ready. Mom and Michelle helped me get into my dress and shoes. Annabelle was on the hotel phone. She is too stinking cute!!  We taught her to say room service. So she would pick up the phone and say hello??  Room service??  Hello?  Lol!!!

Dress rehearsal was simple because of the wonderful volunteers and Angela's planning. Everyone was giddy and ready to get the evening going. 

After dress rehearsals we all headed up for dinner. I'm not sure any of us girls at much. Our minds were else where. 

After dinner it was show time!!  There was some time to mingle and take pictures before the show started. 

It was time to line up. Thank goodness the platform speeches were given in reverse order. I got to get mine out of the way early!!  Yay!!  

Each and every girl did AMAZING!!  We all gave a piece of our heart and soul to the audience. There aren't many people that can do that. I hope everyone is proud of theirselves because they should be!!  I wish we could all go home Ms Wheelchair America 2014!!  Could you imagine 27 of us rolling around the country with our huge crowns?!?!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment